The Federal government in the USA offers many health insurance benefits to different class people to ensure the best and affordable medical services. So, if you are planning to get a health insurance plan or want to make some changes in your existing plan, makes sure to mark your calendars so that you won’t miss the open enrollment health insurance period. You can enroll in a health insurance plan or change your plan only during the open enrolment period every year. If you don’t do it on time, you probably have to wait for the next open enrolment in the following year.
If you are eligible for a health insurance plan as per the government’s policy, you can sign-up during the open enrollment period. This is also the time when you can disengage yourself from your existing insurance coverage if you no longer need it.
Open enrolment Health Insurance Plans
The types of health insurance plans that use an open enrolment period include:
- Medicare Plans (part A, Part B, Part D, and Medicare Advantage Plan)
- Employee Health Insurance Plans (job-based health insurance)
- Individual Market Health Insurance
Some health care insurance plans don’t use open enrollment and you can sign-up at any time considering your edibility criteria. Health insurance plans that don’t limit sign-ups include:
- Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Travel Insurance
- Short-term Health Insurance
- Supplemental Insurance Plans
When is open enrolment for health insurance in the USA?
- Open enrollment for Medicare Plans runs from October 15 to December 7 each year. There is a separate window of open enrolment period for people with Medicare Advantage Plan that runs from January 1 to March 31 every year.
- Employers set the open enrollment period for job-based health insurance as per their organizational policies. The enrolment period can start at any time of the year and there is no regulation for it.
- For individual market health insurance, the open enrollment period runs from November 1 to December 15 in 38 states as of 2020. Other states follow their own schedule and flexibility with the open enrollment period for individual market health care plans.
Exceptions to Open Enrollment Health Insurance
Some exceptions allow individuals fulfilling certain criteria to sign-up at any time for health insurance plans that use open enrolment. Circumstances that make you eligible for a special enrolment period include:
- Losing health care coverage due to quitting a job or divorce;
- If you have aged off your parent’s health insurance plan;
- Moving out of the service area of your existing health care plan;
- New marriage or having a new baby.
These are certain things that you should know about open enrollment health insurance if planning to get new health coverage or want to make changes in your existing plan. To know more about the open enrollment period for different health insurance plans and other eligibility criteria, you can contact L-G Consultants for flexible and reliable services as per your requirements.